Open: Start with a short self introduction and/or why you care.
Engage: (pick one)
· One third of the world’s population is infected with TB.
· Each year, there are 1.7 million TB-related deaths worldwide.
· TB is a disease caused by germs that are spread from person to person through the air.
· Each year, nearly 9 million people around the world become sick with TB.
· The CDC reported over 11,000 cases of TB in the US last year with over 500 deaths.
Problem: (pick one)
· Much of the arsenal of TB diagnostics and treatments is 50 years old.
· TB is the leading killer of people who are HIV infected.
· TB is the third leading cause of death among women of reproductive age worldwide.
· Each year 1.7 million people die of TB.
· Drug-resistant strains of TB can be 100 times more expensive to treat.
· About 650,000 cases of drug-resistant TB were reported in the world in 2010.
Inform: (pick one)
· Most TB can be cured with a full-course of drugs that cost as little as $20 per person.
· Stop TB Partnership reported that 910,000 lives have been saved over 6 years simply because of collaboration between TB and HIV services.
· The Global Fund to fight AIDS, TB & Malaria provided 7 million people with effective TB treatment.
· The Global Fund extends TB education, diagnosis and treatment to millions of people in 140 countries.
Call for Action: (Your request for your representative)
Congressman Click HERE, will you contact the chair and ranking member of the Foreign Operations Subcommittee of Appropriations and request $1.65 billion for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria -- one of the most effective tools to combat TB? I look forward to your answer.
Sign: Include your name and address
More Background Information
Statesman Op Ed on MDR-TB in Texas
Star-Telegram. Starke Op Ed
RESULTS TB Info Page
RESULTS Global Fund Info Page
Ft, Wayne MDR-TB News Coverage
State of Texas TB Information
CNN TB Pandemic Coverage
RESULTS Appropriations Info Page